Recycled Plastic Cap Crafts
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
It can be confusing to know how best to recycle plastic caps. Do they go in the recycling bin? Plastic caps are often a different type of plastic than the bottles themselves. Also, plastic caps do not have that little triangle symbol to tell you what type of plastic they are made from – so how can you know for certain if you are putting the right type of plastic in your recycling bin?
I have designed many projects from plastic caps, partially because the recycling options are often unsatisfying, but also because they are colorful and fun to use in projects!
If you want to recycle plastic caps and your municipality does not take all plastic types, check out the Gimme 5 program. Thank you to Whole Foods and Preserve for running this program for so many years!
Trashmagination’s Plastic Cap Creative Reuse Projects
- Animal crafts from plastic caps
- Octopus or squid from plastic caps
- Hockey player from plastic caps
- Video of how to make a person from plastic caps
- Taiko player from plastic caps
- Globe from plastic caps
- Plastic cap trophies
- Laundry cap basket craft
Plastic Cap Inspiration
- Trashmagination’s Pinterest board of plastic cap projects
- Instagram account PET Diversity
- Michelle Stitzlein projects
- Michelle Stitzlein plastic cap project books
- Mary Ellen Croteau
- Lisa Solomon’s Tumblr on her Chroma Installations
- Script for this podcast episode about creative reuse of plastic caps (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.