Mattress and Box Spring Recycling
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
At least 20 million mattress and box springs are thrown out every year in the United States or about 50,000 per day. Meanwhile, about 85% of the contents of a mattress and its box springs can be recycled. In this podcast, I’ll share info about how some states are testing innovating recycling programs.
In 2004, I took apart a mattress and box spring to see what was involved, and that blog has been the most popular blog I ever wrote on Trashmagination. So clearly, people want better solutions than landfills full of mattresses and box springs.
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
- Bye Bye Mattress – recycling programs currently in California, Connecticut and Rhode Island
- Mattress Recycling Council
- Conscious Style Home by Danny Seo
- Trashmagination’s Pinterest board of mattress and box spring creative reuse ideas
Craft Projects from Bed Springs
- Wind chime, a vase and a photo display
- Christmas tree craft
- Wine rack
- Light fixtures where you put glass jars with a candle in the coil
- Tree topper
- Raised bed garden
- Laundry organizing rack
- Script for this podcast episode about creative reuse of mattresses and box springs (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.