Some artisans call it “vegan leather” because inner tubes can be cut and sewn together like leather. A lot of the projects you would make with leather can be made instead with inner tubes. In this Trashmagination podcast episode, we’ll talk about ways you can creatively reuse inner tubes whether you are a craftsperson or just want some cool storage and exercise options.
You can listen to my podcast episode on creative reuse of inner tubes in this YouTube video. It originally aired in January 2019.
Sewing Inner Tubes
- Bicitoro – blog about inner tube sewing tips
- Bicitoro – tutorial to sew a bicycle pannier from inner tubes and oil cloth
- Bicitoro – tutorial to sew a reflective belt from inner tubes
- Fantome – baskets from inner tubes and wicker in France
- Rika – sewn bags and animals made from recycled inner tubes in Peru
- Inner tube products on Kuttlefish, an online store for products made from creatively reused materials
My Inner Tube Bracelet / Cuff
I designed a bracelet or cuff. I perform with a taiko group and my inspiration was the pattern that the tacks or byo make on the drum head.
Inner Tube Projects that Don’t Involve Sewing
- Instagram – results for the hashtag #innertubejewelry
- ArtCycle Bali inner tube jewelry
- Bicitoro – tutorial to make a mud flap for your bike from a recycled inner tube
- Garbage bag holder – to hold your garbage bag in your can without falling down
- Exercise band
- Plant hanger – Bicitoro tutorial using macrame techniques
- Rubber bands – big (use the whole tube) or small (cut it into loops)
- Bouncy Bands – putting a band on the legs of a desk for kids to push against when studying
Artists Who Work with Recycled Inner Tubes
- Script for this podcast episode about creative reuse of inner tubes or rubber bicycle tyres (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.