You can put most in paper recycling, but some holiday and greeting cards require more creative reuse. Get tips on where you can send used holiday and greeting cards to help others, or get inspired to make holiday decorations from them.
You can listen to my podcast episode on creative reuse of holiday and greeting cards in this YouTube video. It originally aired in December 2018.
Where to Send Used Holiday or Greeting Cards
St. Jude’s Hospital – job creation program for teens at the hospital
Sainsbury’s in the UK has an annual holiday card collection program from the end of December and to mid-January – Based on card donations, they make a financial donation to the Forest Stewardship Council UK. In 2017, they gathered 98 tonnes of holiday cards[. They also take wrapping paper.
Community Cards – Seniors make new cards from old ones and sell them for 50 pence each at community centers. This program has made almost 15,000 pounds since 2013.
Local art programs – your local creative reuse center, art teachers, Sunday school teachers or day care centers
Crafts to Make with Holiday and Greeting Cards
Gift Cards and Boxes
- Star wreath
- Holly leaf wreath from Better Homes and Gardens
- Holly leaf wreath from Craftysy
- Circle wreath
Ornament or Gift Decoration Ideas
Mantle or Shelf Decorations
- Wooden blocks spelling out festive words like Joy or Peace
- Houses made from holiday cards
- Greeting Card Bowl / Basket
Ways to Creatively Reuse Printed Photo Cards
Crocheted Holiday Crafts
- Script for this podcast episode about creative reuse of holiday and other greeting cards (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.