Memory keepsakes are items made from clothing when someone passes away. We are heading into the holiday season which can be a very difficult time for people who have lost a loved one. I rely on creative reuse for inspiration and healing. I believe it is possible to help process grief and worry by making beautiful things. In addition, when we bring new purpose to an item that was going in the trash or sitting unused, it adds other layers of positive meaning to our efforts.
I read an article about how making art and crafts can be especially helpful to children who are grieving. It helps children to communicate without words. Working on the craft sets aside a time to talk about the loss. And it lets people take abstract ideas and make them into something concrete.
You can listen to my podcast episode on memory keepsakes in this YouTube video. It originally aired in November 2018.
Memory Keepsake Project Ideas Discussed in this Episode
- Teddy Bears
- Flower Broach
- Denim Basket
- Hooked or Braided Rug
Memory Keepsake Project Tutorials
- Sadie Seasongoods Plaid Runner
- Abby Glassenberg’s Memory Bear from Sweaters
- Bird Ornament from a Shirt by View from the Fridge
- Bird Ornament from a Shirt by Cutesy Crafts
- Plaid Scarf by Gina-Michele
- Simple Wool Flower Broach by Upcycled Creatively
- Denim Buckets by Curly Made
- Braided Rug by Wonder Forest
- What is Punch Needling?