We don’t need printed maps anymore because we rely on maps apps on our phones. So here are two projects to creatively reuse your collection of old maps.
You can listen to my podcast episode on creative reuse of maps in this YouTube video. It originally aired February 2017.
For Valentines, we cut our map into squares and sewed on hearts. The message “Follow Your Heart” ties into the map theme and is not too romantic for school Valentine parties.
For business cards, we cut our maps into rectangles and printed our info on mailing labels.
Artists Who Creatively Reuse Paper Maps
- Our original blog on making the map Valentines
- Housing a Forest blog which gave the idea of sewing valentines
- Trashmagination’s Pinterest board about map recycling projects
- Script for this printed map creative reuse podcast episode (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.