T-Shirts: Making Yarn, Alterations and Tapestries
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
There was a time when people owned only a few outfits. But in today’s economy, we live in a system of fast fashion where clothing can be very inexpensive. The result? Many people have too much clothes, and especially t-shirts.
From 1994 to 2014, garment production increased by 400 percent, and now fashion is the second largest polluter after oil. Clothing production accounts for 10 percent of carbon emissions – and that doesn’t even include the energy needed to clean clothing.
Customizing Your Own T-Shirts
In the podcast, I mention the following resources:
- Kris Bergstrom’s essay on taiko costuming
- Nen Daiko – my taiko performance group in the Washington DC area
- Crafty Planner podcast with Sonya Philip
- Crafty Planner podcast with Meg McElwee
My Creative Reuse Projects with T-Shirts
Project Ideas for Creative Reuse of T-Shirts
Stop buying new t-shirts and get inspired to use your existing collection with these project ideas – all collected on the Trashmagination Pinterest board for creative reuse of t-shirts.
Clothing for all ages
- Washable Diapers
- Toddler Lounge Pants
- Dress that looks like swirling roses
- Alisa Burke’s tutorial on roses
- Drawstring Backpack
Fun Seasonal Crafts
- Tissues – including little boxes called “hanky hampers” where people can put tissues after use
- Face Wipes
- Reusable Dryer Sheets
- Feminine Hygiene Products
Hot and cold packs or hand warmers
I also saw a video showing how someone insulated a tiny home with t-shirts.
Crafters who Transform T-shirts into Awesome Items
- Rethreaded – check out their Grace Scarf
- One Woman Studio
- Joyaltee – Kids lounge pants from recycled t-shirts
- Adelaide Hills Yarn Company – recycled t-shirt yarn
- Script for this podcast episode about creatively reusing t-shirts (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.