My family puts egg shells in the compost and we give our egg cartons to a local farmer who reuses them. We also rip up egg cartons and throw them in the composter if it’s getting too wet in there. If you want to keep it simple, those are great options. But today I’ll share a bunch of other ways to creatively reuse egg shells and cartons.
You can listen to the original podcast episode on eggs and egg cartons from August 2019 in this YouTube video:
Egg Shell Creative Reuse
In the kitchen and garden:
- Grind up egg shells to scrub pots.
- Use egg shells to clean a glass bottle that you can’t reach inside.
- Clean the blades on your blender by mixing egg shells with soapy water and blending it up!
- Grow baby plants in egg shells.
- Deter slugs and snails with shells sprinkled on the soil.
- Make sidewalk chalk from ground-up egg shells mixed with flour.
Egg Shell Decorating Globally
- Ukrainian egg shell painting
- Persian culture during Nowruz
- Cascarónes in Mexico
- Egg shoeing in Hungary
- Kalti Paarti in Australia
Egg Shell Mosaics
Egg Shell “Geode” Craft from Crystals
Artists Who Work with Egg Shells
Egg Cartons Creative Reuse
Michele Made Me
Dollhouse Furniture from Egg Cartons
Artists Who Work with Egg Cartons
Junk Kouture trash fashion dress made from 3,500 egg cartons by Ellen Kearney and Katie Shortall
Enno de Kroon and EggCubism
Sana Hashemi Nasl
Inna Alesina – furniture (benches) from egg cartons