Car Seat Recycling
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Americans purchase 10-12 million car seats per year, and they are really tough to recycle. Most municipal recycling programs do not take car seats. But for this week only, Target is accepting used car seats as part of a recycling program with Terracycle – only until September 23 as part of National Child Safety Passenger Week. You even get a 20 percent off coupon for your next car seat purchase with each seat turned in. If you are listening to this podcast after September 23, get other ideas for where to recycling your car seat in this podcast.
Also – this Sunday September 24, come to KIDfest in Silver Spring, Maryland from 12-5 where Trashmagination will host a booth about creative reuse. This is a free event for all ages. Come make a creature from plastic caps called Capulet. I’m at booth 54 inside the building. If you come to my booth and show me that you have written a review of the podcast, I will have a gift for you!
Car Seat Recycling Resources
- National Child Safety Passenger Week
- Terracycle’s Baby Gear Zero Waste Box
- BabyEarth’s car seat recycling program
- Recycleyourcarseat.org – a directory of places across North America where you can take your car seat
- Where to find your car seat expiration date
- Script for this podcast episode about recycling car seats (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.