There was a time when people owned only a few outfits. But in today’s economy, we live in a system of fast fashion where clothing can be very inexpensive. The result? Many people have too much clothes, and especially t-shirts.
You can listen to my podcast episode on t-shirts creative reuse in this YouTube video. It originally aired in March 2018.
From 1994 to 2014, garment production increased by 400 percent, and now fashion is the second largest polluter after oil. Clothing production accounts for 10 percent of carbon emissions – and that doesn’t even include the energy needed to clean clothing.
Customizing Your Own T-Shirts
In the podcast, I mention the following resources:
- Kris Bergstrom’s essay on taiko costuming
- Nen Daiko – my taiko performance group in the Washington DC area
- Crafty Planner podcast with Sonya Philip
- Crafty Planner podcast with Meg McElwee
My Creative Reuse Projects with T-Shirts
Project Ideas for Creative Reuse of T-Shirts
Stop buying new t-shirts and get inspired to use your existing collection with these project ideas – all collected on the Trashmagination Pinterest board for creative reuse of t-shirts.
Clothing for all ages
- Washable Diapers
- Toddler Lounge Pants
- Dress that looks like swirling roses
- Alisa Burke’s tutorial on roses
- Drawstring Backpack
Fun Seasonal Crafts
- Tissues – including little boxes called “hanky hampers” where people can put tissues after use
- Face Wipes
- Reusable Dryer Sheets
- Feminine Hygiene Products
Hot and cold packs or hand warmers
Crafters who Transform T-shirts into Awesome Items
- Rethreaded – check out their Grace Scarf
- One Woman Studio
- Joyaltee – Kids lounge pants from recycled t-shirts
- Adelaide Hills Yarn Company – recycled t-shirt yarn
- Script for this podcast episode about creatively reusing t-shirts (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.