Pet Accessories from Recycled Materials
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Let’s make presents for our pets from recycled materials! We’ll get ideas for:
- pet beds, feeding and play structures
- pet leashes, harnesses, clothing and costumes
- pet toys
To see all the project ideas, visit Trashmagination’s Pinterest board of creative reuse ideas for pets.
Pet Beds and Play Structures
My favorite project ideas are dog beds from wooden pallets, dresser drawers, vintage suitcases or old furniture.
For cats, I love the cat tent from a recycled t-shirt, as well as creative cat playground ideas that can be installed high up on your walls.
Companies who sew tailored items for dogs from recycled materials:
- REHound in Germany – dog clothing from recycled clothing
- Sweet Pea and Busy Bee in Australia – harnesses from reclaimed fabrics
- Dog Patch San Francisco – leashes and harnesses from climbing ropes
- CycleDog – Leashes and harnesses from bicycle inner tubes
- Recycling Zychal – Doggie raincoats from broken umbrellas
Cat Toys from Recycled Materials
Nicole Betters mice toys for cats crocheted from plastic bags
Dog Toys from Recycled Materials
Toys for Small Pets from Recycled Materials
Creative Reuse of Pet Waste
Park Spark – dog waste processor in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Make Your Own Dog Waste Composter
What’s the best cat litter for the environment? (Scientific American article)