America Recycles Day: Recycling Celebrations Around the World
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
November 15 is America Recycles Day this year. Around the world, there are recycling celebrations in many countries. How could you celebrate recycling this November? The most popular types of events are collection events for materials that don’t go in the recycling bin, such as bicycles or hazardous materials such as paint. But there are many other kinds of events such as:
- paper shredding or bicycle repair events
- tutorials or workshops on worm composting and zero-waste cooking
- sew-alongs where people sew reusable bags
- clothing or toy swaps
- repair cafés where people bring items and others fix them or teach how to fix them
- tours of recycling centers and transfer stations
- trash fashion or recycling sculpture shows
I mentioned a program called the Wasted Swap where creative reuse artists are matched with a partner and exchange bags from recycled materials – here’s the info from Trash2Tees.
Recycling Celebration Events Around the World
- Australia – National Recycling Week – November 13-19, 2017
- Canada – Waste Reduction Week – October 16-22, 2017
- Europe – European Week for Waste Reduction – November 18-26, 2017
- New Zealand – National Recycling Week – November 6-12, 2017
- South Africa – Clean-up and Recycling Week – September 11-16, 2017
- United Kingdom – Recycling Week – September 25-October 1, 2017
Recycling Events Which Trashmagination Will Attend in November 2017
It would be great to see you there!
November 11, 12noon-4pm, Maker Faire at Barnes and Noble Tysons Corner
Trashmagination will have a table with information about what I make out of trash and recycled materials.
November 15, 6-8pm Project Recycle Runway, Martin K. Alloy Boys & Girls Club of Manassas
Trashmagination will be cheering on the creative folks who made new fashions from recycled clothing.
November 18, 8am-2pm, Herndon High School Holiday Fair
Wonderful original holiday gifts for your creative reuse enthusiast family and friends!
November 30, 10am-1pm, “Rethink Recycling” Sculpture Contest
Trashmagination will be getting inspired by talented high school artists at the Maryland Department of the Environment Headquarters located at 1800 Washington Boulevard, Baltimore, Maryland
Videos Mentioned in the Podcast
European Week for Waste Reduction
Barcelona Give Box
In Barcelona, people put out items that they don’t need for their neighbors to take. Each street is on a schedule. A common item is scrap wood.
Berlin Give Box
Kamikatsu, Zero-waste Town in Japan
- Script for this podcast episode about recycling celebrations around the world (not a transcript but gives the main ideas)
- The Trashmagination podcast theme music is Kitchen from the Marian Circle Drum Brigade.