Green Vacations and Staycations
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Would you love to get inspired by creative reuse innovators on your next vacation or staycation? In this podcast episode, I’ll share how I plan vacations where I visit people who are doing next-level creative reuse awesomeness.
My 10 Step Process for Planning Creative Reuse Vacations
Get more details on the how and why of these steps in the podcast!
- Make a spreadsheet with a list of all the little place names within 45 minutes of a starting point.
- List keywords that describe what I’d love to see. Search for them at the place names from Step 1.
- Search for green or solar home tours or festivals in my vacation spot.
- Check the Chamber of Commerce websites in my vacation spot for green businesses.
- Check Green America’s National Green Pages website for green businesses in my vacation spot.
- Check Local Harvest’s website for farmers who are doing organic farming, as well as farmer’s markets, restaurants and food co-ops.
- Email, message or call my favorite places to check their availability and openness to my visit.
- Put the locations on a schedule and map them to minimize travel time between locations.
- Send the schedule to the tour locations and adjust based on their advice since they are local.
- Prepare a thank you gift for each tour location.
My Favorite Creative Reuse Places I Visited on Vacation
These are described in more detail in the podcast.
- Crazy as a Loom studio
- CHARM – Center for Hard to Recycle Materials in Boulder, Colorado
- Weaving a Life
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse
Top Five Items on my Current Creative Reuse Travel Wishlist
- Any Thomas Dambo installation
- ReTuna Återbruksgalleria
- Recology Artist in Residence program
- The town of Kamikatsu, Japan (see video below)
- Hornby Island, British Columbia
Some Photos from Past Creative Reuse Vacations